Wednesday, August 13, 2008

6 Months in Portugal

Monday will be our six month anniversary in Portugal! We should celebrate...but how?
Any ideas??

I want to say that we've been busy lately, but it's not a crazy kind of busy, just a normal kind of busy. The kind of busy that lets us know we have something to do. The kind of busy that confirms you now have a ministry in another country. That God is blessing and working. Trust me....it's a good kind of busy!

Things are going well here. The weather has been a little cooler. Today we had sunny skies, but a cool breeze. I actually got cold when I was bringing in my clothes from the line this evening.

The kids have four weeks left before school starts. We'll spend the last few weeks of summer cramming into the girls more Portuguese, getting lots of immunizations...(don't tell them..they'll find out soon enough) and figuring out how much it costs for all their books and school supplies. We can't just go to Wal-Mart and find their list.

Last night we had two neighborhood girls eat supper with us. Even though the meal was very "Portuguese" consisting of fish, rice, beans, bread, salad and fruit, they made funny faces when they saw my bread had been toasted with butter and garlic. They really thought we were weird when the girls put salt on their watermelon. And one girl even tried some pink lemonade. After smacking a few times, she replied that it was good and wanted more. Today, the mother of one of the girls dropped off fresh eggs and vegetables from her garden. Then later in the day gave all 4 of my girls sandwiches and fruit. This was a "Thank You" for feeding her daughter. Although this family probably cant' afford to be feeding her neighbors kids, she still 'needed' to give something in return.

Various neighbors have recently given us lettuce, tomatoes, watermelon, bell peppers, eggs, potatoes, green beans and I'm sure I've missed a few things. As we've tried to be just as friendly and share our plums and pears with anyone who likes them. Anytime we have a visitor, they usually leave with something. Either something from the fruit trees or from our garden. And the next day, they return the favor....it's the Portuguese way. It's the way we're making friends...

We are fitting in more and more as our neighbors get to know us better. Our language class today went well. They don't always go so well, so I'm proud of how this one went. I talked the whole three hours...not correctly...but talked. That is very good for me. My teacher and Michael are usually forcing me to say something...but today I wouldn't stop talking. (It may of had something to do with the two cups of coffee I drank!! Some of you know how caffeine does me.)

My mother and step-dad are coming for a visit the first of November. It will have been 6 months since my mom's last visit. Six months is a long time to go without seeing your mommy......We plan to celebrate 3 birthdays when they arrive and also have and early Christmas....the kids will be thrilled! I pray the excitement will carry me through to the 'real' Christmas when we are here without any family. Our first Christmas in Portugal.


6 comments:

Starla said...

I think you should celebrate with ice cream. Or do they have ice cream??? LOL!!! School has already started here in Kentucky. Also when you were telling about your neighbors giving you items and you giving items to other people. You said that was the Portugal way. I sort of got a sad feeling because that use to be the American way, when people would help others. Now here in the United States most people are for their self. Thank God that there are still some good Christian people in America and in Portugal.

Anonymous said...

I just love your blogs. The Christmas comment did make me sooo sad. I know I should be happy, but your family is my family and we are soooo going to miss you guys this December. I'll have a new baby girl, so I'm sure I'll be stuck in the bedroom most of the time (I know you know what I'm talking about.) I love you and I'm so happy that things are coming along so well over there. Sounds like you are making good connections. That is so important in the ministry.
LOVE YOU!!!
Danielle

Matt & Mia said...

I have been so encouraged by your blog. My husband and I are currently seeking the Lord's direction is our lives as it pertains to sharing the gospel in Portugal. We are currently in process with the IMB and are waiting to get all of our clearances. It has been fun reading your blog t see what portugal and it;s people are really like. We have 3 children (ages 6,3 and 2). God bless...

Sandy said...

Nina,
I can't believe it has been 6 months already. It sounds like on this end everything is going wonderful. Just want you to know how proud I am of you and I pray for you and your family daily. Thank you for being my friend.
Sandy

Rita Loca said...

I ti s an accomplishment to feel 'settled' in 6 months! Way to go!

Sarah Joy said...

Hi there! I only just approved your comment on my blog because we've been without internet for the past few weeks. I've enjoyed reading your blog!