Monday, November 24, 2008

Humor me, please

Can I whine just for a minute?

I realize that in a very recent post I described myself as "not wimpy" But aren't I entitled to whine from time to time? My husband who lives in a house with 5 women, one girl cat, and two female hamsters calls these days, "Emotional Days". And I believe he's qualified to say that, so I don't get angry when he diagnoses me. We've come to the conclusion that female hormones don't make their appearance at puberty, but rather at birth.

This is my dilemma.....I miss church!!

Yes, I go to church all the time. Yes, I actually try to pay attention. And yes, I realize I voluntarily came to this country. But I miss the churches of America.

I miss the revivals, the camp meetings, the ladies fellowships and the special Thanksgiving services. I miss dinner on the grounds, hugs, shouts of 'Amen', 'Glory', & 'Hallelujah'. I miss seeing the altars full, and more than that, I miss being one of those at the altar. I miss being able to hear someone pray over me and seeing someone get saved that we've prayed years for. I miss being in church with my extended family, hearing my aunt sing, watching my cousin sing (notice Danielle that I said 'watch' you sing, not hear you sing!;)) I just miss it all!!

This is all part of culture shock, I know. I had hoped I was past all that. I'm beginning to realize that as strong as I think I am I will still struggle with differences from time to time. Last night, we had a really great time at church. Such a sweet spirit, full house, and a yummy dessert fellowship afterwards. I can see God's hand moving in the hearts and lives of those present, including me, but it will always be different.

And that's okay. It's not supposed to be the same. I just needed to whine a little.

Now, where's my coffee?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whining makes us all feel better sometimes. So does chocolate!

I miss my old church too. Not that I don't like where we are now, but it's just not the same. We were extremely close to our last church and we still miss them.

Unknown said...

Girl, I ditto all that!! We have been here in Spain for almost 9 years and I feel this same way from time to time. ;) Who better to whine to than your family and fellow missionaries who can really understand, and of course our Lord! :) I do feel for your husband with a house full of girls! At least you all got your little boy too! ;)

Starla said...

That's OK to whine a little here or there.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry,,,,,,
for you. When Jim has to preach on a sunday- the night before I start to think how bad I'm going to miss our church,I can't even began to think of how you feel..
If it matters at all we miss you toooooo.
I'll be praying God gives you peace. love you.
Becka.

Pam--in America said...

I know exactly how you feel! We don't really appreciate all of it until we no longer have it. Hang in there :)

Pilar said...

I know what you mean, i dont think is cultural shock because I am originaly from Spain hehe but do miss the services from our home church in AL. Miss them very much..... are you trying to make me cry??? ;)

Nina in Portugal said...

Pilar,
We are originally from Birmingham, different suburbs. Then my husband pastored in Georgia, before coming to Portugal. Small world, huh? Is your pastor Bro. Mike Allison?

the voice of melody said...

I would miss so many things about this country if I lived somewhere else so I understand your homesickness. :)

Many sweet blessings!

Tori Leslie said...

Hey I can totally relate. My friend was telling me about how she was the guest speaker at my home church's ladies meeting and I whined a bit more than I should have. I really miss all that same stuff, especially the music.
Oh well, one day we'll have that same sorta thing here, and plus it just makes those things that much more special when we go back.

Relax a bit and enjoy that Thanksgiving, I'm sure it'll be great!

Aurora said...

Nina,

Although we some times wish it wasn't and that we could adapt easily to any culture we live in, culture shock is always a part of who we are. Even having grown up in Portugal, I came from a different part of the country and I still have shock about some things that are different. Course it is also a lot of fun sometimes when we learn different. (that is having to learn to laugh at yourself not an easy thing to learn) My biggest culture shock was going back to the States for college. Everything was so different and no one wanted to talk about Portugal which was all I knew. Besides I don't count that as whining. That is appreciating something about your culture that you didn't appreciate before because you were too close to it. You know what they say "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

Unknown said...

Oh sweetie, it's okay, really! I do remember those feelings while living in Mexico. I think it's worse around the holidays, due to missing our long time traditions and our ways of doing things.

Pilar said...

Yes, my pastor is Pastor Allison. Have you been in my church? I think you looks sooo familiar to me, but maybe I saw you in some missionary boards somewhere else....:)

Sandy said...

Nina,
I don't know how you are feeling -- Yet--- But I do know that I miss you like crazy more and more it seems. I pray for you every day.
Love,
Sandy