Friday, October 3, 2008

Talking Tough

I took this video when we had only been in Portugal for a few days. Ms. Lora and I were stuck in the van with 5 cranky kids while we waited about 2 hours(it seemed) on my husband to open a bank account. He never got one open by the way, we ended up going to their rival across the street! Good for us, huh?

Anyway, this video gives you a glimpse of what Portuguese women are like, especially the older ones. I took it from the van while trying to be discreet, so there isn't any audio for the conversation. Just my motor mouth kids and a little wishful dialog I added at the end. You'll find ladies everywhere you go talking to one another like this. They point their fingers in each others face and hit on the other while talking. I'd hate to see them if they were mad at each other. Notice how bored the younger lady and man are during this conversation....I'm telling you...this type of "talk" is only for the older ones. I've often said that I don't want to make a Portuguese lady mad. They're tough!

At the end of this conversation they parted ways with smiles and waves.....strange, huh?

11 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

That's so funny, I guess all Europeans are the same. When we first came to Croatia we seen two men doing the same thing but more emotionally. I knew they were about to throw blows but then they hugged and parted with a smile. Wow, that kinda hollering would have been fighting ground in Texas.
It's interesting that people are the same here and there. Oh yea and the older generation is the worst, specially the women.
Interesting!
p.s. I enjoyed hearing that southern accent, fun!

Starla said...

LOL!!!! That video made me think of my mom and she is from Kentucky. LOL!!!!

Tracy said...

That is funny! Reminds me of some church members- (if I want them to know I said that, I will tell them) ;o}

Tabatha said...

I like how you ad libbed for them. I think you should have done it for the whole conversation portion you videoed. LOL!

BTW, I talked to Mrs. Teri the other day and "heard" Livingstone talking in the background. He's quite the vocal bird! She said he is constantly saying..."time to go to work" or "time to go to church!"

Tori Leslie said...

Hey Nina,

About that corn syrup, the only place it can be found in Croatia is at the health food stores. I bought a little jar of it and it was very pricey. I plan on going to get one more for the pecan pie I'm going to make for Thanksgiving.
BTW, We have pecans now in Slovenia, cool huh?

Hope you find what you're looking for.

BTW, love the family photo and is that a new hair cut?
I like it!

Rita Loca said...

You will find this a lot in Roman Catholic cultures. The matriarchal thing.
The indians would have 'pole fights' to solve their differences, and then come to us, together and laughing, to get their stitches.

Anonymous said...

LOOKS like me and my sisters. people think we hate each other,but we do love eachother......
I do love the hair,Great great family picture.the best one yet,
love you guys so much.
Becka,

Tracy said...

Oh wow! First time I have seen the new header. LOVE it~great picture, cute hair style. I wish I was brave enough to actually change mine...all I ever do is a trim here and there.

I don't mind if you put a link on your blog to mine :o}

Anonymous said...

That's funny. My father lives in Portugal. Never been myself. It's my first-time to your site, but I'll be back. I think it's great that there's missionaries in Portugal. My dad needs one, so it's encouraging to know the Gospel is being spread there. My husband is a pastor here in the states...New York.

Anonymous said...

That video is so interesting, I love seeing how other cultures opperate! Ashley Gostlin

Amrita said...

Very funny Nina.
The Indian state of Goa was a Portugese colony for a long time. It got its independence in the 60s.

There is a lot of Portugese influence,culkture, music, food, archetecture, language ( I guess)theee. Catholicism flourishes.
I know some Indo-Portugese families.