Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lemon Pound Cake



And it's as yummy as it looks!

Reminds me of Sunday dinners In Collinsville with my Stepdads family....of fried chicken, rolls and all the Dr. Pepper us kids could drink.

Reminds me of fireworks and egg hunts and the excitement I felt when I won the HUGE prize egg filled with all the grown-up's money.

Reminds me of 6 hour card games around the kitchen table, target practice and of loud belly laughs that could be heard all over the house.

Reminds me of having to scream so Mawmaw could hear me, and moving out of her chair very quickly so she wouldn't sit on me.



Some recipes aren't just recipes...they're memories....and they're priceless.

Lemon Pound Cake

1 1/2 Cups softened butter
3 Cups sugar
8 eggs (yes...I said 8)
3 Cups all-purpose flour (No Mom, self-rising won't work!)
1 T plus 1.5 t lemon extract
1 T plus 1.5 t lemon juice (throw in a little zest too)

Cream butter, gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs; one at a time, beating well after each one. Add flour, mixing well. Stir in lemon juice and extract. Pour batter into greased and floured bundt pan.

Bake at 350 for about and hour and 15 minutes. Or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. (Only took an hour in my extremely strange oven)




It's easy, it's good and it's fattening. What more could you ask for!

Nina

12 comments:

Becka said...

Looks tooo good girl,
You are right food is not just food ,you can have so many memory talks around them,,
love you,

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing! As soon as I get an oven, I'm going to try it and I can't wait.

-FringeGirl

Mom said...

Oh my goodness Nina, this one brought tears to my eyes. It was pretty noisy at Mawmaw's. I remember MANY times she almost sat on you kids. Do you remeber the cakes or pudding that she would mistake the salt for sugar? (her sight was as bad as her hearing)What a taste shock! We have good memories dont we!
I love you

Mom said...

Hey you would be proud of me... I have been using the all-purpose flour! Im going to make this cake when I get home today. I'll let you know how it turns out. Oh and you didnt say how to make the icing? I guess just conf. sugar, little milk and lemon flavor?

Liz said...

That looks yummy! And I agree, some foods are more about the memories than the food. It's pinto beans and chicken and dumplins for me. =)

The Swan's said...

Yummy! I can;t wait to make this. Sounds delicious.

Betty W said...

LOL! I love anything fattening! :)
Looks totally delicious and I will definitely save this recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wow that sure did turn out incredible! I almost got fat looking at it!! My mouth is watering! Girl! ;)

What great memories and a great post!

Is that really your cake? did you take that picture? You could publish it!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Yum! Will want to do this for our next Bible study night! We do potlucks and alternate who brings desserts and who brings side dishes... Can't wait!

Thanks for sharing!

Blessings and Aloha!
(thank you for stopping in and commenting! I do love finding your comments letting me know you were there :o)

Janice: AKA Nanny said...

What a beautiful cake and I am sure it is delicious. You are so right about memories. Some of my best ones are about times around our big table with the lazy susan. The kids flung many bowls, glasses and gallons of tea everywhere. The first day we used that table, the lazy susan never stopped turning. I know you are making wonderful memories with all my babies around your table too. I hope we make some when we visit in December. I love you.

Tori Leslie said...

Hmmm, that looks so good. I love anything lemon! It's so nice to have family memories. I have memories of pot roast and DP at grandma's house.

Unknown said...

Looks scrumptious! I love all things lemon, too!